Rehman grew up in Gillingham where he attended Richmond Infant School, Napier Primary School, Fort Luton High School, Rainham Mark Grammar School and Chatham Grammar School for Girls. After completing a Law degree at the University of Wales Aberystwyth, he was called to the Bar of England and Wales at Lincolns Inn.
Rehman represented both Gillingham and Rainham as a Councillor before standing for Parliament. He cares passionately about the community where he grew up.
Rehman has completed 12 half-marathons raising money for local good causes and charities. In April 2017 he took part in the London Marathon to fundraise for Cancer Research.
- Conservative Party Vice Chairman for Communities January 2018-November 2018
- Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee 2017-present
- Prime Minister's UK Trade Envoy to Pakistan 2017-November 2018
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Rt Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP, Attorney General 2015 - 2016
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Nick Gibb MP, Minister of State for Education 2014 - 2015
- Special Adviser to the Rt Hon Francis Maude (Chairman of the Conservative Party) 2006 - 2007
- Special Adviser to Benazir Bhutto (Former Prime Minister of Pakistan) 1999 - 2007
- Member of the Justice Select Committee 2012 - 2015
- Member of the Joint Committee On Human Rights 2011 - 2014
- Parliamentary Fellow for The Football Association 2013 - 2015
- A Parliamentary Fellow for Sport England 2010 - 2012
- Barrister, Goldsmith Chambers 2003 - 2010
- Councillor for Gillingham North 2003 - 2007
- Councillor for Rainham Central 2007 - Present
- Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Enforcement, Medway Council 2007 - 2010
Rehman chairs the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pakistan and in September 2016 he setup the APPG for Community Engagement: to help parliamentarians to be aware of, and respond to, the various issues and challenges facing members of the diverse communities in the UK. Rehman is also Chair of the Conservative Foreign and Commonwealth Council.
Away from work, Rehman enjoys going to the gym, running, watching the Gills, playing cricket and squash, catching a movie and spending time with friends and family.