Rehman Chishti grew up in Gillingham where he attended Richmond Infant School, Napier Primary School, Fort Luton High School, Rainham Mark Grammar School and Chatham Grammar School for Girls. After completing a Law degree at the University of Wales Aberystwyth, he was called to the Bar of England and Wales at Lincolns Inn.
Rehman represented both Gillingham and Rainham as a Councillor before standing for Parliament. He cares passionately about the community where he grew up.
Rehman has completed 12 half-marathons raising money for local good causes and charities. In April 2017 he took part in the London Marathon to fundraise for Cancer Research.
- Prime Minister's Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion or Belief (September 2019 - September 2020)
- Conservative Party Vice Chairman for Communities (January 2018-November 2018)
- Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2017- 2019)
- Prime Minister's UK Trade Envoy to Pakistan (2017-November 2018)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Rt Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP, Attorney General (2015 - 2016)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Nick Gibb MP, Minister of State for Education (2014 - 2015)
- Special Adviser to the Rt Hon Francis Maude (Chairman of the Conservative Party) (2006 - 2007)
- Special Adviser to Benazir Bhutto (Former Prime Minister of Pakistan) (1999 - 2007)
- Member of the Justice Select Committee (2012 - 2015)
- Member of the Joint Committee On Human Rights (2011 - 2014)
- Parliamentary Fellow for The Football Association (2013 - 2015)
- A Parliamentary Fellow for Sport England (2010 - 2012)
- Barrister, Goldsmith Chambers (2003 - 2010)
- Councillor for Gillingham North (2003 - 2007)
- Councillor for Rainham Central (2007 - 2019)
- Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Enforcement, Medway Council (2007 - 2010)
Rehman chaired the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Pakistan until September 2019, and in September 2016 he setup the APPG for Community Engagement to help parliamentarians to be aware of, and respond to, the various issues and challenges facing members of the diverse communities in the UK. Rehman is also Chair of the Conservative Foreign and Commonwealth Council and an Executive Member of the British American Parliamentary Group.
Away from work, Rehman enjoys going to the gym, running, watching the Gills, playing cricket and squash, catching a movie and spending time with friends and family.