Rehman Chishti grew up in Gillingham where he attended Richmond Infant School, Napier Primary School, Fort Luton High School, Rainham Mark Grammar School and Chatham Grammar School for Girls. After completing a Law degree at the University of Wales Aberystwyth, he was called to the Bar of England and Wales at Lincolns Inn.
Rehman represented both Gillingham and Rainham as a Councillor before standing for Parliament. He cares passionately about the community where he grew up.
Rehman has completed 12 half-marathons raising money for local good causes and charities. In April 2017, he participated in the London Marathon to fundraise for Cancer Research. He has since committed to running the 2024 London Marathon to raise funds for Air Ambulance Charity Kent Surrey Sussex.
- 2022 candidate for UK Prime Minister. Rehman was one of 11 candidates for this post.
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for North America, Sanctions and Consular Policy), Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (July 2022 - September 2022)
- Prime Minister's Special Envoy for Freedom of Religion or Belief (September 2019 - September 2020)
- Conservative Party Vice Chairman for Communities (January 2018-November 2018)
- Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2017- 2019)
- Prime Minister's UK Trade Envoy to Pakistan (2017-November 2018)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Rt Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP, Attorney General (2015 - 2016)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Nick Gibb MP, Minister of State for Education (2014 - 2015)
- Special Adviser to the Rt Hon Francis Maude (Chairman of the Conservative Party) (2006 - 2007)
- Special Adviser to Benazir Bhutto (Former Prime Minister of Pakistan) (1999 - 2007)
- Member of the Justice Select Committee (2012 - 2015)
- Member of the Joint Committee On Human Rights (2011 - 2014)
- Parliamentary Fellow for The Football Association (2013 - 2015)
- A Parliamentary Fellow for Sport England (2010 - 2012)
- Barrister, Goldsmith Chambers (2003 - 2010)
- Councillor for Gillingham North (2003 - 2007)
- Councillor for Rainham Central (2007 - 2019)
- Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Enforcement, Medway Council (2007 - 2010)
Rehman has received widespread national and international recognition for his work as an MP over the past 10 years.
Sitara-i-Quaid-i-Azam award of Pakistan
Awarded in October 2020, for his work advancing UK-Pakistan relations, including as the UK PM's Trade Envoy to Pakistan, where bilateral trade increased by 10% in one year and he successfully campaigned for the resumption of BA flights to Pakistan. Rehman also served as Chair of the APPG on Pakistan.
Campaigner of the Week November 2018
Policy Driver Award MP of the Year
Grassroot Diplomat Initiative Award 2016
Campaigning MP of the Year
Asian Voice Political and Public Life Awards 2016
ConservativeHome Parliamentarian of the Year Awards 2015
Conservative Party People’s Choice MP of the Year Award
Patchwork Foundation 2015
Parliamentarian of the Year: National Campaigner
Brake Awards 2014
Road Safety Parliamentarian of the Month
Away from work, Rehman enjoys going to the gym, running, watching the Gills, playing cricket and squash, catching a movie and spending time with friends and family.